Monday 25 June 2007

Pizza, Cigars and lunch with Tony.

One year down – I can’t quite believe it! Exams are over and I have nothing to do in order to justify my existence, except have a good long rest. Mind you it has not been very restful yet.

It started out a pretty run of the mill week. I had two exams; one Monday and my last one on Tuesday. After which I fully intended to make best use of my time by doing absolutely nothing save have a few beers in the evenings and maybe go out for some nice meals. Plus try to reflect on the year gone by.

During the first few days after the examination period I accomplished this perfectly. Eating pizza and drinking beer in the court yard of The Angelicum (university) and then moving onto the ‘Ice Bar’ (yes it is a bar made entirely from ice and is minus 5 degrees!). The next day I met up with two friends for lunch in Piazza Navona and proceeded to smoke the largest Cubin cigar I had ever seen and that is basically how my week went drinking, eating, reading and siesta(ing). But there was a rumour circulating around the college that Tony Blair would be visiting us for lunch with representative from charitable organisations and a few cardinals.

What might you ask has my eating and drinking got to do with Tony Blair’s visit to Rome – well. On the evening before Tony came I was in an Indian restaurant with another seminarian and we began chatting about the usual things seminarians do; college politics, Tony Blair’s visit and then church issues. Obviously as you probably have guessed by now some of my views come into conflict with the majority of the college community and indeed Catholic teaching – take the ordination of women for example(which is what we happened to be discussing). I attempted to justify my opinion and visa versa…

On the day of the P.M’s visit the college community was getting quite excited. Reporters began to assemble on Via Monseratto (the street just outside my window) as did allot of Italian police – who performed their duties with the usual tact and diplomacy by breaking into cars and getting them towed away if they were obstructing the P.M’s entourage (God knows where to). The cars then drove down the narrow street with armed security walking in front of them and several motorcyclist officers behind. We had time for some drinks in the garden and then we sat down for the main meal.

It has to be said the college does put on excellent spreads when it is a special occasion. I quickly consulted the seating plan and then took my place. There were six of us on our table two students and myself, the rector of the Scottish college, Tony Blair’s p.a. and the Cardinal for the CDF (Catholic Doctrine of the Faith). This had formerly been called ‘The Inquisition’ in a previous existence and is basically responsible for seeing that all Catholic clergy uphold Church teaching. I thought to myself I bet he is interesting to talk too. So we all said grace and then sat down and introduced ourselves…

After which the Cardinal said, “Where you at Jaipur Indian restaurant last night?”

“Yes” I said.

“I thought I recognised you. You were having a very interesting conversation with another student. Some of which I didn’t agree with mind you.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah, you were saying you thought women have the right to be ordained and you can’t see any justifiable reason why they shouldn’t be.”

“Oh yes.”

I mean if you are going to say something that could be classed as heretical why not get overheard by the head of the CDF (who obviously is partial to a curry).

We didn’t really get into much of a discussion or debate but had a bit of a chuckle about it. After which it occurred to me that maybe I should have asked why the Church does not allow the ordination of women I mean who better to ask – but I guess this was not the time or place.

It has been two days since that meal and chance encounter and my head is reeling with various church teaching that I really struggle with and some which I will never be able to accept. I wonder, if I make it to ordination will I be able to uphold the churches teaching or will I even want too over some issues? Well I have two and a half months to think about it and one spiritual direction session left before the summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now then Bloke. It's Al and Sarah. We're guessing that you were pissed and loud and that's why you were overheard. Are we right??? As if we didn't know that!

Take care.

Miss A said...

Only you would be found slagging off the catholic hierachy whilst downing curry and beer....:)nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...